Over time every home's roof begins to show the signs of wear due to weather conditions and age, however, you can prevent yourself from having major roofing problems by following with these simple check up steps on your roof.
- Missing Shingles: Sometimes this is as easy as walking around your yard after a big storm to find the missing shingles. Other times, you need to get up on the roof and take a look. Missing shingles is cause for concern, as that the water can begin to leak into the roofing decking or sheathing.
- Gutter Granules: Check inside of your gutters at least once in the spring and fall while clearing out debris. While removing leaves and such, look for tiny roofing granules that gather at the bottom of the gutters. This granules will leave areas of your roof looking darker then others where the shingles have worn.
- Roof Valleys: A roof valley is where two sections of the roof come together making a ridge type valley. This area should be checked thoroughly, as that this is where the rain and snow gather the most. A hole or missing shingles in this are can cause roof leakage.
- Buckling and Curling Shingles: A shingle does not have to be missing to be a problem, as that shingles that are curling out or buckling in can be just as damaging to the roof. When checking your roof, make sure that no curling or buckling shingles exist.
- Age Does Matter: In the roofing industry the standard roof will last 20-25 years depending on the type of materials used and amount of damage the roof has had.
- Leaking Roof Boards or Light Coming through: You should check your attack at least twice a year for wet spots, water stains, light shining through the roof boards or damp insulation. Any of these mean that your roof has some holes in it and it should be replaced.
- Spongy Feel when you walk on it: If you walk around on your roof and it feels soft or spongy in places this is an area that is having some leaking or weakened roof issues.
If you spend some time each year checking for these simple things, it may save your home from serious roofing problems. For those who do not have time, or the ability to check your roof, contacting a professional roofing company such as Allrite Home & Remodeling, for a roof inspection is also an option.